How to Host a National APVMA Symposium
You must submit a bid to host the National APVMA Symposium during the President's meeting!
Remember that you must be a club in good standing to submit a bid
Benefits of Hosting the APVMA Symposium:
- Show case your veterinary school or university
- Great leadership opportunity within the APVMA
- Network with other veterinary schools and industry representatives, as well as faculty and clinicians from your host school
- Recruitment opportunity for the College of Veterinary Medicine
- Generate revenue for your club
Requirements to submit a bid to host:
- Club must be in good standing with the APVMA
- Club must be nominated at the President’s Meeting during the National APVMA Symposium the year before intending to host
- After nominations, the candidate must submit a brief statement outlining what the club has to offer as a host for the National APVMA Symposium (1-2 paragraphs) and evidence that the host school administration is supportive of the bid
- Elections will take place on Saturday evening of the symposium during the final banquet dinner, where candidates will have the opportunity to give a short presentation (5-7 minutes) about what the club has to offer as a host
Things we would like to see in the presentation:
- Evidence of strong support from the club, advisor(s), and veterinary college administration
- Evidence of administrative support from a representative of the host institution
- Conference resources for lectures and labs, housing abilities (hotels or other), and benefits to APVMA members to attend the National APVMA Symposium at that host institution
What you should expect if you Win a Bid APVMA Symposium:
The APVMA Symposium, an annual two-day event, brings together prospective veterinary students from all over the country for an opportunity to learn more about the field of veterinary medicine. This event is also a great opportunity for all students pursuing a career in veterinary medicine because it provides students with an opportunity to speak with representatives from different veterinary schools in attendance.
The APVMA Symposium comes with many learning prospects, new friendships, and a greater sense of how to achieve the dream of becoming a veterinarian. An entire day of the symposium is filled with lectures and hands-on labs pertaining to advances, techniques, and opportunities in the field of veterinary medicine. The hands-on labs range from learning suture knots and stitches to learning species anatomy through necropsy. Lectures are often given by individuals in the field of veterinary medicine that have made significant contributions to the profession, and there are typically sessions about the application process and preparing for veterinary school as well. Additionally, special guest speakers present at the two dinners Friday and Saturday night!
Finally, elections for the APVMA Executive Board are held after the dinner on Saturday. Students can run for APVMA executive positions such as: president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, and webmaster. Events on Friday include registration, a banquet dinner and welcome, and the Pre-Vet Olympics.
Please feel free to email APVMA President Nicholas Biondo at email@example.com if you have any questions! Hosting the APVMA Symposium is a fantastic opportunity for you, your club, and your institution. Thank you for your time and consideration, and we look forward to receiving your bid!